Tuesday 21 May 2013

The Best Meal I Ever Made... Ruined



Today's meal is something else.  Truly, it's delicious.  So delicious that I'd pretty much already decided it was too nice for the blog,  I didn't want to alienate my readership (oh hi Rick).


This is date fare, the sort of meal that you'd cook a few dates in when you were hoping to impress, seriously impress.  Although possibly if I was hoping to seriously impress I might have bought a garlic baguette too, maybe some rocket and perhaps a vienetta or a couple of magnums for dessert.

I took photographs, just in case.  In case tragedy befell me, which to be honest I was sure it wouldn't.  This was a sure fire hit. Nothing could go wrong. Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.

Unless...

Unless...

Umm, tastes better than
it looks
Unless the chilli and curry powder are in such similar containers that you grab the wrong one, and, knowing that the chilli powder is so old it's sort of stuck into its container, you shake vigorously and unthinkingly into your delectable saucepan meal and realise too late that you've just made a thoroughly revolting and completely inedible pesto curry.

Anyway,  I'm speeding ahead.  I'd decided to make my signature dish with a twist.  This is genuinely the one meal that I think I make well,  I'd make it for the in-laws or if I was having a friend over for dinner who I didn't know very well and couldn't get away with providing two ryvitas to start, a cup a soup main and a twix for dessert.

Dropped a bit so I know
it tasted nice pre curry powder
It's pesto, tuna and gnocchi.  "Gnocchi, huh?  That's posh." I hear you say and you're right it is posh, although you should probably get over it, the whole world is middle class these days.  It's the sort of thing you'd eat out of choice IN A RESTAURANT or if someone else was cooking.


The combo is really very tasty, put a hint of chilli in and you're laughing.  Add some sundried tomatoes and jeez louise this is the best meal you've ever made.  Add curry powder and it tastes weird.  And like curry. And you'll probably have to have peas and gravy instead.



Curried Gnocchi

What you will need:

Gnocchi
Pesto (out of a jar, only idiots would try to make their own, it's a lot like humous in that respect)
Tuna - tin of
Sundried tomatoes (mmm, dreamy)
Curry powder - lots of, a whole tub if you have.  I don't really know anything about curry leaves but at least, like, 4 handfuls of.

Recipe

1. Boil kettle (you should be familiar with this by now)
2. Put gnocchi in saucepan
3. Add boiled water
4. Wait for, like, about, 3 minutes or until gnocchi is floating.
5.  Drain water from gnocchi
6. Put gnocchi back in pan.
7.  Add tuna and a healthy dose of pesto.
8.  Quickly chop up some sun dried tomatoes because you forgot and throw them on top.
9. Stir a bit
10.  Add in absolutely shit loads of curry powder.
11.  Try to scrape out with a spoon but know that it's already too late. You've done it again.

This post could also be called, "how to destroy the only vaguely pleasant thing you've ever made" or "how to make a terrible cook even worse"

No comments:

Post a Comment